True Blood jumped the shark last season with it’s huge plot holes, split personality characters, and amnesia in regards the the plot points the writers so diligently created in previous season. What I find myself saying as the watch each episode is WHY??????
So instead of a recap, because there are so many great bloggers out there recapping True Blood in such witty ways, I’ve decided to go through asking the questions that come up in each episode. I have 10 for the writers and creators of Season 5’s first episode, “Turn Turn Turn.”
1. Why would Eric vamp speed out the door of Bill’s mansion when he knows the Authority is out there waiting to get him? He did know they were there. He muttered “They’re already here,” and he whooshed out the front door. Eric is a smart and crafty vampire, shouldn’t he have at least tried to sneak out another way? He actually ran right into their silver nets! Sheesh!
2. Why was it so important for the Authority to clean up Bill’s mansion? Why did THEY care it was full of Nan goo? Bill has servants, who I presume would do his bidding, if he cared to involve them (though Eric did a thorough job!)
Why would the Authority think it mattered to humans that a vamp was killed? Besides who would expose her death anyway?
3. Why didn’t Pam sense Eric was in danger? She always has before. For that matter, why didn’t Jessica sense Bill was in danger? The writers made up this mythology. They should have both shivered and known where there makers were. No?
4. Why was Sookie so bitchy to Pam when she first walked into the house? Sookie doesn’t know what went on in front of the Moongoddess does she? Was there time to tell her that Pam fired that flame thrower?
5. Could we please make up our minds? Has Pam been a maker before or not? Yes, yes I know on the Blu Ray the writers had Pam talking about someone named “Colin” that she turned then she kicked to the curb. (BTW HBO, you DO know not everyone has a Blu Ray player don’t you? So many people did not have access to that information) Yet, in the great emotional scene in Fangtasia in Season 3 Eric told Pam it was time she was a maker. There there’s this: Last season Pam said to Eric, “I have been with you over 100 years. We traveled the world together, killin’ and fuckin’ and laughin.” Really? So when did she make Colin w/out Eric knowing?
6. IDK, I thought Laffy already said goodbey to Jesus last season, when Jesus fully materialized and spoke w/Laffy. He had closure didn’t he? I know many people who would have loved THAT kind of closure. Laffy needed to see the dead body? Funny, neither Sookie nor Laffy tried to look for Jesus’ body, nor did they concern themselves about if after that scene.
7. Why didn’t Alcide smell Debbie’s tooth out there on the floor? Did he lose his were olfactory powers? While we’re at it, Sookie did such a thorough job cleaning that kitchen she didn’t see that tooth right in front of the fridge?
8. Alcide knew Russell was buried alive. Why didn’t HE tell Sookie last season? He was being a hypocrite to blame Eric and Bill. At any rate Sookie knew Eric wasn’t going to kill Russell. He made her save him. It is true Bill lead her to believe Russel was dead as well as Eric. “I ended them. And anyone who knows about your fairy blood” (I’ve got A LOT of questions about that scene but it’s two seasons ago, though I won’t let it go I won’t bring them up here).
9. Why has Terry’s personality completely changed? And I don’t mean the PSTD part, Terry was sweet natured and a little daffy, as well as shell shocked. He’s not speaking in a different rhythm, like he’s a totally different person. What gives? That personality not mesh with this new story line? A story line, btw, that has no business being in this show. It’s a whole different tone. It’s more suited for the Movie-of-the-Week or Lifetime Network. Terry and Arlene are comic side characters. They should not be a major story line and especially not one that stops each episode in its tracks!
10. Sookie screaming. Really? AGAIN?!?!? Forgot about her fairy jazz hands again did she? Why even invent those things if you’re not going to have her use them? She couldn’t use them to get herself out that ring of fire last season either. It was lame to give her that power anyway. Oh, and while we’re on the subject, if she had used her telepathic powers (which she seems to have forgotten over the last few seasons) she would have sensed that Debbie, not Tara was in the house.
And there we have it, my top 10 questions of the week.
**There is of course all the questions around Nora. Where was she when her maker was missing? When he met the sun? When her brother killed Talbot and was in trouble? She was in the front seat of that car, why couldn’t Eric sense her? Smell her? I’m not sold on Nora as a major character yet, she just feels like a plot point, so I’m not going to go any further in my questioning.
What did I like this episode?
Everything Pam said and did (except the Maker bs);
Steve Newland professing his love for Jason and flying out the door “I loooovvveee yyyyooouuuu”;
Laffy’s look at Alcide when he tells him to get lost; and Laffy’s face as he comes across Sookie crying at Tara’s still body — Absolutely heartbreaking. But that’s our Laffy.
Screen shots courtesy of http://fractured-simplicity.net/daydreaming/